We have recently downsized. And let me tell ya, it has been really hard for me to do.
I had no idea just how attached I was to stuff. And space. Without even realizing it, I had attached myself to items that don’t even matter. Downsizing is sanctifying. It really is. Every time I ignore my flesh and continue to purge, a small victory is won.
There are many, many benefits to downsizing homes. I thought I would share a small list of ways taking the plunge and moving into a smaller home is good for our family life.
- Living in close quarters hones our patience.
- Our children will be better equipped to share, get along with, and even live with others once they enter adulthood.
- It is easier to monitor what type of material enters our homes when they are smaller.
- There are naturally more conversations when living in tight quarters, and relationships blossom.
- Much less time is spent cleaning, and more time is spent with our families.
- Finances are freed up, and more of our resources can go towards meaningful goals. Utility bills are cheaper as well,
- Financial and debt freedom is more easily attainable.
- Bad attitudes are seen more plainly, and we can address heart issues faster.
- Our children will learn that stuff isn’t as important as they once thought it was.
- Hopefully, one day we will see a shift from the materialistic culture we live in now.
I try my best to be quick to remind myself of the hidden “downsize blessings” that naturally occur whenever I miss our old home.
What about you? Please feel free to share your favorite thing about downsizing with us!