Fall is my favorite season by far. Cool, crisp air. Warm, cozy sweaters. Gorgeous leaves. Ah, it doesn’t get much better than this!
During our journey out of consumer debt I needed to get…well, creative, when it came to our family activities. And boy, did I ever still want to celebrate fall, despite our small budget. I thought it would be fun to share some ideas with you today that are either cheap or free!
- Pumpkin painting. We usually purchase pie pumpkins from Walmart and use paint we already have.
- Bonfires. Sitting around a bonfire with a warm drink in hand just screams fall!
- Leaf rubbings. Again, this is a really cheap or free idea to enjoy with your kiddos. All you need is paper, crayons, and leaves from your yard.
- Hiking. What better way to enjoy the changing leaves than by going on a hike?
- Visit an apple orchard. If too expensive, skip the u-pick option and buy $1 slushies or a pack of apple doughnuts instead. You still get to experience the fall charm!
- Fall themed scavenger hunt. Pick up a few items from the Dollar Tree, and you are good to go.
- Check out fall books from the library. Again, this is a really fun free option!
- Visit a pumpkin patch for a cool photo opp. Many times no purchase is necessary!
- Check out your local state park for free activities. I simply love state parks! And what better place to take in fall foliage?
- Bake a fall recipe. Cookies with fall colored sprinkles taste better! Am I right?
- Jump in a pile of leaves. Super fun for little kids! Just make sure it is a fresh pile and no critters are hiding inside!
- Buy dried corn (common animal feed) to play with in the sandbox. My kids have loved doing this.
I hope you have found a few new ideas to try with your family! How about you? Do you have any fun fall ideas? Please share them in the comments below!